About the SDFV
The legal bit: The SDFV is an incorporated association with the formal details being
S.D.F.V. is actively involved with and committed to sensible conservation.
NAME: SCUBA DIVERS FEDERATION OF VICTORIA INC.
Organisation Number: A0025313N
Registered: 04/06/1992 Old Vicnet based SDFV website Copy of Constitution, Current copy of Constitution - Must be read in conjunction with the Model rules from Business Affairs.
- Who is the Scuba Divers Federation of Victoria?
Scuba Divers Federation of Victoria is an amateur organisation
representing 25+ diving clubs throughout Victoria with a membership in
excess of 2,500 divers. It is the peak body representing recreational scuba divers interests (even those not in member clubs).
- The Federation is involved in the following activities within Victoria:-
- Scuba diving promotion
- Protecting the rights of divers to get a fair share of access
to dive sites and recreational fishing (including Abalone and Cray
[also known as Rock Lobster])
- Underwater Photography seminars
- Diving seminars
- Diving displays
- Underwater ecological education
- Mission Statement
- S.D.F.V.'s main objectives, as set out in our constitution, are:-
- To promote and protect the interests of scuba divers in the State of Victoria.
establishment of a State body of scuba diving clubs and provide a
forum for discussion and decision on matters relating to the use of
- To promote safety in scuba diving.
- To take an
active part in the preservation and conservation of marine flora and
fauna species, and to assist in the restoration of a marine
environment compatible with this aim.
- Membership is open to any properly constituted dive club which does not engage in competitive spear fishing.
- Notable Efforts
has been involved for many years in
conservation, safety, awareness, and political issues and some of our more
notable efforts have been:-
- The establishment of the Harold Holt Marine Reserves in Port Philip Bay
- SDFV Dinner Dance & Photo Competition
- Rights of divers in Port Phillip Heads area - diving codes of conduct.
- Rights of divers in Fish catch regulations (ie. Crayfish/Abalone/Scallopbag limits)
- Protecting the interests of Sport Divers at Tidal River/Wilson's Prom
- Informing clubs of New Historic shipwrecks
- Directory of SDFV affiliated clubs
submission on all major government plans and discussion papers(ie.
ECC/LCC Marine & Coast Special Investigation, LCC Final
Proposals,Abalone Regulations RIS, Tidal River/Wilson¹s Prom Park
ManagementPlan, Fishing Act 1996, Scallop Management Plan, Aquaculture
ManagementPlan, Port Phillip Bay Management Plan, just to name a few. )
- Public awareness campaigns for Diver Below Flags
- Sunken Assets Seminar series
- Clarification of scuba divers rights to dive at piers controlled by Parks Victoria
S.D.F.V is recognised by Government as a voice of Amateur Scuba
Divers in Victoria and is privy to most Government information relating
to it. Meetings are held bi-monthly and provide for the interchange and
dissemination of information. The S.D.F.V is represented on many
- The Federation has had representation on the:-
- Historic Shipwrecks Advisory Committee (HSAC)
- Victorian Recreational Fishing Peak Body (VRFish)
- Rock Lobster Management Committee
- Abalone Management Committee
- Parks Victoria Marine National Parks and Marine Sanctuaries Advisory groups
- In 2007/2008/2009 the SDFV is represented in the following bodies:
- Historic Shipwrecks Advisory Committee
Abalone Fishery Management Plan Steering Committee (SDFV nominated as VRFish representative)
- Stakeholder member Rock Lobster Fishery Management/TAC forum
- Victorian Rock Lobster and Giant Crab fishery management plan Steering Committee observer
Member (past board member) VRFish
- Port Phillip Bay Channel Deepening Project Related:
PoMC Dive Industry Liaison Group
- PoMC Community Liaison Group (CLG) (replaces old PSAC)
- VARS - Sink the ex-HMAS Canberra
- The Federation is affiliated with:-
- Victorian Recreational Fishing Peak Body VRFISH
- South Pacific Underwater Medicine Society SPUMS - Includes online diving doctors list
The SDFV is incorporated and it's organisation number is: A0025313N
© SDFV Inc. 2005,..2009